Tuesday, June 29, 2010

object in a foreign environment

untitled #4

The objective of this piece was to take an object and place it in a different context, changing its meaning. Here, a statue of Baphomet was placed on an altar in a cathedral. The pope, and the other priests, appear to be kneeling before it in prayer. The juxtaposition of the sacred and the profane is not a new concept in art, but it is a concept that interests me and I wanted to play around with that in this piece. The statue originally had a very cool tone to it, and I tried to make it appear native to the scene by applying some of the warmer tones from the cathedral. The shadows that I applied on the altar from the statue need a lot of work. The comment was made during critique that the image could use some blood, and I have to say I agree with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment