Monday, August 24, 2015

Journal: 5 collages

 "Portrait of the Bourgeoisie," 1939
David Alfaro Siqueiros
pyroxlin on cement

I chose this because I like surreal artwork. Also, I prefer collages that are completely hand-rendered rather than made of premade images. 


 "Siddhartha Obama," 2009
Kenneth Tin-Kin Hung 
Digital print on canvas 40" x 62"

I chose this because it is an example of a digital collage where all the images are integrated almost seamlessly. It also has a social and environmental message.


 "Myth of Power,"2012-13
Jessica Beethe & Keegan Donovan O'Keefe
Mixed-media on stretched canvas 60" x 52"
http://jessandkeegan.com/gallery.html

I like that this collage is hand-rendered, naturalistic, surreal, and has a good layout. I also like the fact that this was a collaboration.

"Deer and Red Rock Southwest Landscape," (no date)
Dolan Geiman
Vintage papers on wood, frame: hand-build reclaimed metal  103" x 56"

I chose this because it's a good example of our texture assignment. I like how he used unnatural colors for a natural scene.


"Open Door," 2011-12
Jessica Beethe & Keegan Donovan O'Keefe
Mixed media on 200lb. hot press cotton rag paper, 16.5" x 12"

I like that the longer you look at it, more objects appear out of nowhere that at first seem like part of the scenery. Once again, I like that it is a hand-drawn and painted collage and has a surreal theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment