Sunday, October 6, 2013

"Beaddazzle" - a performance piece


"Beaddazzle"
A performance piece by Anthony Marshall:
  This piece is an exploration of act of beaddazzling, and our relationship with hobby materials, glitz and theatricality within an everyday setting.

I set up in the McKnight Atrium and worked to beaddazzle my entire face.  The process took about 5 hours.  I wanted to see how far I could push this aesthetic, with the attempt of making myself "sick" of it.  Upon completion, I found that I was rather pleased with the aesthetic "over-the-topness."  Viewers were also very interested in it, calling it "beautiful" and "fabulous."  I came to the understanding that "over-the-top" may be to some extent, out of reach.  This is because many in our culture, and apparently myself including, truly values this aesthetic value.

No comments:

Post a Comment