Thursday, April 12, 2012

Hisakatano


Hisakatano
Mixed Media Installation

by Chiyoko Myose


II


Artist Statement

My work expresses my personal feelings and experiences as a sojourner and my spiritual journey in search of a place to fully call home.  As a sojourner, I have a physical place where I live, but simultaneously, my mind goes to the places where I used to live.  This experience makes me explore various aspects of a sojourner’s life such as place, memory, imagining, cultural displacement, and spiritual journey.

Right now, it is the season of the cherry blossom in my original country of Japan.  I imagine they are blooming beautifully now, as always.  At the same time, I am concerned that the land and the people who are living there have been going through mourning and struggles after the earthquake and tsunami disaster and the nuclear accident from a year ago.

The image of this particular installation art piece was inspired by my memory of viewing the cherry blossoms and a shoji window, a Japanese paper sliding window.  The petals fall off and form other flowers in another place.  Together with the light, shadow, mirrors, and reflection of the mirrors, I expressed my thoughts and prayers for my original country and the people there.

The title of this piece, ‘Hisakatano’ is from a waka, a short poem, by Kino Tomonori from the 9th century.  The word Hisakatano itself does not have a meaning, but it is a word that goes with the word ‘the light’.  The poem goes like this:

Hisakatano hikarinodokeki harunohini
Shizukokoronaku hananochiruramu
ひさかたの 光のどけき 春の日に
しづ心なく 花の散るらむ

It translates to:

On such a light tranquil spring day,
Why do the cherry blossoms fall like restless thoughts?


Images with different light settings




2 comments:

  1. Wow, great pictures! So glad you were in the class and the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! Hey, we are going to keep making installation arts.

      Delete